Thursday 5 December 2013

La Cuccina

There's a beautiful place near Cape Town called Hout Bay where I grew up, and we had our restaurant, the Red Sails Inn.


My younger sister and mother still live there so I often have occasion to visit, which I did last week. And even though I was going through a kind of detox where I had cut out all alcohol and coffee, and was only eating fruit and vegetables, I was persuaded by my mother to go out to La Cuccina for lunch.

Turns out it's the perfect place to eat out if you are detoxing, because not only do they have a buffet style lunch, but they even have a special detox tea, which I tried and loved.

The cleansing detox tea has burdock root, lemongrass, lemon balm and fennel. It's for cleansing and aiding digestion. There was enough in the pot for 3 cups and they very kindly gave me honey instead of sugar.











The lunch buffet had loads of vegetable options. I settled for some curried aubergine & chickpea, a bean salad and some fancy coleslaw with sprouts. All delicious. I felt very virtuous. Of course they also have all sorts of other options such as fish done in a few different ways, chicken and lamb. Quiches and various different rice, potato and couscous dishes. Huge variety. You pay by weight.




What I like about La Cuccina is that they have a lovely deli with all sorts of interesting products to buy and take away and you can also order picnics and custom made cakes. We had one for my niece Cleo's birthday the other day. Her favourite chocolate mousse cake. Layers of delicious sponge glued together with yummy chocolate mousse and smothered all around with the same. Fabulous. 




No comments: