Tuesday 19 November 2013

Asian Roast Chicken

Ok.  Today we were planning on having a barbeque, so I bought a nice plump Free Range Chicken to spatchcock. Well the weather wasn't too good so I decided to roast it instead. As usual I winged it and as I felt like Asian, this is what I did.

In a roasting pan I put:

1 can coconut milk
1 stick lemon grass - chopped
grated ginger- about a 3cm piece
4 cloves of garlic sliced
1 Tablespoon fish sauce
about 1 tablespoon palm sugar
2 birds eye chillies

I seasoned the chicken with powdered ginger, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, black pepper and sesame oil and massaged the whole lot into the chicken. I placed it on a rack in the pan.

Roasted the chicken for 1 hour. The juices from the chicken added to the delicious eastern flavours and the wonderful smell of sesame oil permeated the house as it cooked.

Once I had carved up the chicken, I added about a third of a cup of lemon juice to the pan and mixed thoroughly. I strained the sauce over the chicken so that all the bits of lemon grass etc., stayed behind.  Served it with roasted baby potatoes. (not terribly Asian, but yummy. Lets call it Fusion.)

No comments: