Friday 15 November 2013

Potato and Carrot Rosti



I've noticed that this Germanic potato dish has become very popular with celebrity chefs. I've also noticed, when watching reality shows such as Come Dine with Me, that most people have a problem with it's execution. When I first started cooking I was very afraid of Rosti. It looked so intimidating. I always managed to burn it and it always stuck to the pan. I love Rosti. Because of my Swiss father, it featured regularly on our menu when I was a child. Although my mother is Portuguese, she had learnt how to make my father's favourite. I was determined to get it right and this is the method I now use and it's always a success.

There are two ways of making Rosti. You can first parboil the potatoes in their skins, allow them to cool, preferably overnight in the fridge, remove the skins and then grate them, or you can grate them raw. The latter is the method I prefer because I like the texture of the finished product and because planning in advance isn't my forté. The only problem with grating from raw is that you need to move fast, because, as you probably know, potatoes turn brown quickly when exposed to the air.

INGREDIENTS

5 Medium sized potatoes
1 medium sized carrot (optional )
2 T olive oil or any good vegetable oil
1 knob of butter
seasoning of your choice- I normally use garlic salt, nutmeg and ground black pepper.

METHOD

Peel the potatoes and carrot and place in a bowl of water.

Place the pan on a hotplate with the oil and butter ready. A non-stick pan is preferable, otherwise use a little more oil or butter.

Grate the carrot and then the potatoes. You can use a hand grater (less to wash) or a food processor. You can also include grated onion which is always a nice touch.

Place the grated potatoes and carrot in a dish. Season and mix well .



Now put the hot plate on high until the oil/butter starts to sizzle and then turn down to lowest heat and add the potato/carrots and form into a nice round cake. All stoves are different. Use the plate that has quite a hot #1 setting, not your coolest plate.



Set the timer for 8 mins and after that put the heat up a notch and set the timer for a further 8 mins.

Turn the hotplate to high and stand over it until you have a nice crispy bottom, it shouldn't take long because the bottom is already slighty brown. Just a minute or two. Using a lifter make sure that the Rosti isn't sticking.

Slowly slide the Rosti out of the pan and onto a plate. Now place another plate on top and flip so that the raw side is underneath.

Slide back into the pan and repeat the process on that side.

Your Rosti is ready to serve. En Guete! (that's Swiss-German for "enjoy your meal")








No comments: