Sunday 3 November 2013

Let me introduce myself

Hi, I'm Lisa. This blog is dedicated to my favourite pastime: food and it's preparation. Cooking, baking and all things delicious. I just love the aromas at my favourite spice emporium and the cute packages and labels that adorn them. Design is another love of mine and I am actually by profession a fashion designer and cad artist. So I'll be keeping things pretty eclectic.

A bit of background. I grew up in a restaurant in Hout Bay near Cape Town, South Africa. It was this that first instilled in me a love of food and cooking, but also made me realise that I didn't, at that time in my life anyway, wish to go down that career path. Our lives revolved around the restaurant, and when other families were going out for Sunday lunch or tea and scones, we were serving the lunch and the scones. No rest for the wicked.

 It was very much a love/hate relationship. My parents worked very hard with the help of their 4 daughters ( I and my 3 sisters) to make the restaurant, which was called the Red Sails Inn, a success. We specialized in sea food mostly. Cape Rock Lobster (crayfish), Prawns and Kingklip.  My father, being of Swiss origin had a classic culinary training and the Red Sails was famous for it's Crayfish Thermidor and my mother who was Portuguese produced the most delicious Prawns as found only in Lourenco Marques, her home town in Mozambique.



 After many years in the clothing industry working as a fashion designer, I'm now spending more time at home, less time in the rat race, and more time to cook. Yay!!! I've been experimenting a lot with all sorts of new tastes, such as Moroccan Cuisine and also the flavours of the Caribbean. I've also been baking more than I've ever done before.

 Well that's enough about me, what's for dinner?

No comments: