Monday 11 November 2013

Yellow apricot and almond pilaf

When I made Bobotie the other night I decided to make something more interesting than yellow rice with raisins. I cooked a cup of brown Basmati rice and added about a tablespoon of turmeric to the water.

In a pan I toasted ½ cup of almond flakes and set them aside. I then chopped up one onion and fried it on a low heat until soft. To that I added 8 small dried apricots, finely chopped and cooked them with the onions for about 10 minutes. To that I added 2 spring onions, 50 gm of butter, black pepper, the reserved almonds, and about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. By the time the butter had melted it was ready to be mixed in with the rice. Just before serving I added a handful of mint leaves, chopped up finely.  Keep a few almonds to one side to garnish.

No comments: